Tuesday, April 29, 2008

And on another note ...

It's taken about five years longer than it should have, but sometime in the last month, G and I finally reached the point where I can tuck her in, give her a kiss, turn out the light and LEAVE THE ROOM. And she doesn't cry! And she doesn't come out every 15 minutes to see what I'm doing! And she doesn't call "Mama, I'm lonely! I need you to lie down with me!" She just says "'Night, I love you," and then I don't hear from her again until morning!

Because mothers are perverse creatures, I'm simultaneously delighted by this and a little sad that she doesn't need me quite as much as she used to. But on balance, "delighted" definitely wins.

3 comments:

Humincat said...

I am often hit with seemingly opposite emotions, especially in regards to my children and their milestones. Cat just willingly and happlily to her first ever sleepover (besides Grandmas). I don't think I slept a wink, but I was quite proud and practically pushed her out the door. I still haven't decided how I feel about sleepovers, but I am ecstatic that it isn't a big deal for her anymore.

Pixilated Mum said...

Ohhh, that's awesome.

I've got the whoooole ritual with the three kidlets, and it's sweet sometimes, but, oh, so draining.

Yeaaaah. Moms ... always longing for their child to be independent, but then getting all teary-eyed when it happens. ; )

writermeeg said...

Even as I'm in the midst of the nightly going-to-sleep drama with a two-year-old who wants me there every minute, I can understand the mixed emotions. But, gee, it sounds nice (note howls in background)... Hugs!