Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hypothetical situation

You are a 9-year-old girl with a math assignment. You ask your mother for help. What is the appropriate response when she tries to fulfill your request?

1. Listen to what she has to say, then either apply her suggestions or calmly explain that your teacher showed you a different method in class and you think you should use that instead.

2. Interrupt her with a shriek of "WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO IT LIKE THAT!" Pull the pencil and paper away from her when she wants to demonstrate. Refuse to let her finish a sentence or to show you any other way of arriving at the answer. When she tells you that it is mathematically impossible for 35 times 5 to equal 350, scream that it HAS to be 350 because that's what Mr. B SAID. Have a fit when she takes a piece of paper out of your binder to use as scratch paper, and when she says "I'm sorry you're upset," snarl, "Apology NOT accepted." Then, when she takes away your computer time for being rude and unkind, say, "I'm sorry for what I said," and then ask "Now can I use the computer?" Express shock when she says no.

---

I suppose this is payback for all the times my father sat with me at the kitchen table while I cried over my sixth-grade math homework. I can still remember him saying, "If you would just calm down and pay attention, it wouldn't be so hard!"

Sorry, Dad. Can I use the computer now?

3 comments:

Mrs Figby said...

I know this is going to be a shock, but I'm pretty sure that one of my boys is at your house posing as your daughter. It's too uncannily accurate for any other explanation.

Humincat said...

I wondered why all of a sudden, checking Cat's homework made me consider stabbing myself in the eye....thanks for reminding me. I wonder what it is about third grade math.....or is it just the third grade girls....

Space Mom said...

I vote for #2, because 9 year olds have got to be as crazy as almost 6 year olds!