Friday, March 16, 2007

La vie noire

I wear a lot of black. Rare is the day when I leave home without at least one piece of black clothing on my body, and quite often I'm in black from head to toe. Colleagues tease me and little kids ask me "Why you got all black on?" but I really don't care. Black is comfortable; it goes with everything; it's soothing to the eyes and nerves. It may fall in and out of favor on the runways, but in the Stygian depths of my closet, black is always the new black.

I've been dressing this way for years and years (P, who always did the laundry, just rolled his eyes at me and bought that special detergent for dark fabrics), and it only causes trouble when I have to go to an event where black just won't do. I've got one of those tomorrow -- it's a wedding where G is the flower girl -- so tonight I went out in search of something with color. G and I pawed through every rack at Target until I finally found a sort of dusty rose skirt that I thought I could wear. But then I caved in and bought a black top to wear with it. I am incurable.

While we were at the store, I also let G get an i-Cat, which is something she's been wanting for a long time. (Yes, we bought the black model. Why do you ask?) I did not think the i-Cat was going to be all that exciting -- okay, it flashes lights in time to your music, big deal -- but it's absolutely mesmerizing. I've tried it with all sorts of different music, and it seems to do best with songs that are up-tempo and/or have a strong beat: the three best results so far were for "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" by the Arctic Monkeys, "Cotton-Eyed Joe" by the Chieftans, and "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani. However, just about any song produces patterns that make me sit, transfixed and probably drooling slightly, as I wait to see which colored light is going to flash next.

The i-Cat is also a virtual pet that asks for "feeding" and attention, which is something of a drawback as I already have two non-electronic cats that demand the same things, loudly, at three in the morning. However, the i-Cat has one advantage that Catherine and Malcolm don't have: you can turn it off by pressing its nose. Wouldn't it be great if real cats came equipped with the same feature?

3 comments:

Pixilated Mum said...

I love black. Absolutely love it. That and red. But black especially. So, rock on with the black clothes!

That cat sounds, uh, interesting. LOL And I think that'd be the only pet that my poor children will be able to get due to their highly allergic mum. Poor kidlets. Hey, maybe I'll get her that for her birthday. One of the characters in DD's beloved "Time Warp Trio" has a robot cat. (Samantha does.) If I tie it in to the whole TWTrio maybe she'll forgive me for never giving her an actual animal for a pet.

Wait. There was a hermit crab, but he was the dullest pet ever. Sigh.

Vanessa said...

G has just recently expressed an interest in wearing black, and it's been all I can do to restrain myself from decking her out like the world's smallest Goth. LOL

The iCat is pretty cute. It's sitting next to my laptop right now, rocking out to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The funny thing is, the real cats don't like it -- maybe they're jealous?

Anonymous said...

I, too, wear a lot of black. I throw red in often, maybe just shoes, and gray. I am just recently starting to buy some color, and only because The Boy likes color.

Karen
Well heeled mom