Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Yo gabba what?

Did no one notice during preproduction that the Cyclops character on Yo Gabba Gabba is wildly, inappropriately phallic?

I mean really. How could you miss it?



Throw in the sensation-enhancing nubs, and it looks like something you couldn't buy at a shop without showing I.D. I'll bet the designers for the show snicker like teenage boys every time they see it.

I was viewing Yo Gabba Gabba in the first place because G ended up staying home from school today, and I stayed home from work to be with her. Kids today have it easy, let me tell you. When I was her age and sick at home, it wasn't worth watching TV all day, because after Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers in the morning, it was a vast wasteland of game shows, soap operas and Phil Donahue for the rest of the day. Now you can turn on Nick Jr. at 7 a.m. and just lie there in a TV-induced haze until bedtime. Not that I allow that at any other time, but the Special Rules of Sickness include both treats -- we baked gingerbread this afternoon -- and unlimited television and/or computer time while you "rest." (Believe me, I apply these rules to my own illnesses as well, at least as far as I can while still attending to my responsibilities as Mom.)

I've got to go to work tomorrow, so G will be spending the day either at Grandma's house or Grandpa's office. It's not a bad cold, as colds go, so she shouldn't be too uncomfortable. With any luck, she'll have bounced back completely by Thursday -- no doubt just in time for me to come down with it. TV for everyone!

No comments: